Specialist Upper Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgeon
Dr Jordaan has over 25 years of surgical experience. He is known for his meticulous surgical technique, low complication rate and ethical conduct. He strives to provide excellent surgical care whilst maintaining a friendly, informal doctor-patient relationship.
He opened his private practice, Jordaan Surgical, on the Gold Coast in 2007, which he runs with his wife Dr Nova Jordaan on the principle of providing the highest level of patient care.
Dr Jordaan trained in surgery at the renowned Pretoria Academic Hospital Complex in South Africa. He qualified with honours in 1996 becoming a Fellow of the College of Surgeons of South Africa.
He became a Fellow of the Royal Australiasian College of Surgeons by examination in 2000.
In 2001 he relocated to Australia and was appointed as the Director of Surgery at Rockhampton Hospital.
Dr Jordaan transferred to the Gold Coast Hospital in 2003, where he worked as a consultant surgeon for ten years.
Dr Jordaan performs minimally invasive surgery for a range of health issues including hernias, reflux, gallstones, thyroid and parathyroid disorders.
His primary clinical interests include laparoscopic bariatric surgery for the treatment of weight management and the health complications associated with severe obesity.
With his continued drive for constant and never-ending improvement, he regularly undertakes advanced bariatric clinical immersions with world-renowned surgeons at innovative surgical weight loss centres both within Australia and internationally including:
- Dr Gerhard Prager – University Medical Centre of Vienna, Austria
- Dr Laurent Bierto – Quebec Heart and Lung Institute, Canada
- Dr David Schroeder – Surgical Obesity Service, New Zealand
- Dr Mitchell Roslin – Northern Westchester Hospital in New York City, USA
- Dr Kelvin Higga – Fresno Heart and Surgical Hospital, USA
Dr Jordaan trains Australian Fellows – fully qualified surgeons who are interested in obtaining advanced laparoscopic upper GI experience – through an upper GI and bariatric fellowship program in association with the Gold Coast Public Hospital and Pindara Private Hospital. Over the past 20 years he has trained many registrars in surgical techniques, including our very own Gold Coast bariatric surgeon Dr Jason Free.
Dr Jordaan teaches Bond University medical students and is committed to passing on the ethos that “a surgeon is a physician who operates” to the next generation of doctors.
- General Surgeons Australia (GSA)
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand (OSSANZ)
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Australian and New Zealand Gastro Oesophageal Surgery Association (ANZGOSA)
- Australia and New Zealand Hepatic, Pancreatic and Biliary Association (HBPANZ)
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT)
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
Current Professional Appointments:
- Bariatric and Upper GI trainer for Surgical Fellows, since 2012 – Gold Coast University Hospital in conjunction with Pindara Private Hospital
- Consultant Specialist Surgeon, since 2007 – Pindara Private Hospital
- Consultant Specialist Surgeon, since 2007 – Gold Coast Private Hospital (previously Allamanda Private Hospital)
- Surgical Supervisor training Bond University Medical Students, since 2012
Previously Held Professional Appointments:
- Staff Specialist Surgeon – Gold Coast Hospital (2003-2013)
- Director of Surgery – Rockhamptom Hospital (2001-2003)
- Consultant General Surgeon – Grey Base Hospital, Greymouth, New Zealand (1999-2001)
- Private General Surgeon – Pretoria East Private Hospital, Pretoria, South Africa (1997-1999)
- Consultant General Surgeon – Department of Surgery, University of Pretoria, South Africa (1996-1997)
- Registrar of General Surgery – Department of Surgery, University of Pretoria, South Africa (1991-1996)
- Medical Officer – Department of Surgery, Tembisa Hospital, Kempton Park, South Africa (1991)
- Medical Officer – South African Defence Force (1990-1991)
- Intern – Pretoria Academic Hospital, South Africa (1988-1989)
Publications and Teaching Presentations:
- Doctor magazine distributed by QML pathology: “Managing Patients with Obesity: How far does your duty of care extend?”, July 2016
- Pindara magazine: “The Truth About Gallstones”, July 2016
- Gold Coast magazine: “When Diets Don’t Work”, June 2016
- Gold Coast Medical Association presentation to GPs & Specialists: “Benefits of Bariatric Surgery”, May 2016
- Medical Link magazine, published by the Gold Coast Medical Association: “The Benefits of Bariatric Surgery – Beyond Weight Loss”, April 2016
- Gold Coast magazine: “The Benefits of Bariatric Surgery – Beyond Weight Loss”, April 2016
- Pindara Hospital presentation to nurses: “Managing the Bariatric Patient undergoing weight Loss Surgery”, March 2016
- Gold Coast magazine: “Surgical Solutions: Weight Loss Surgery and Type 2 Diabetes”, February 2016
- Mermaid Beach Medical Clinic presentation to GPs: “Guidelines to Managing Obesity”
- Pindara Hospital Grand Rounds presentation to Specialists
- Pindara magazine: “How Weight Loss Surgery Can Help Type 2 Diabetes”, December 2016
Weight Loss, Hernia Repair & General Surgeon
Dr Mastakov is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a member of the General Surgeons Australia (GSA) and the Australia & New Zealand Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Society (ANZMOSS).
Dr Mastakov completed his surgical fellowship in Australia, as well as a preceptorship in Bariatric (Obesity) surgery with leading Australian bariatric surgeons practicing in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide, and have 24+ years of experience.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- laparoscopic/open repair of femoral, inguinal, ventral, umbilical, incisional or recurrent hernia.
- Laparoscopic Emergency & Elective Abdominal surgery (laparoscopic cholecystectomy and appendectomy, etc)
- Other General Surgery